RabidReads

Rabid Reads

Tour Stop, Giveaways and Early Audiobook Review: Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones — Please VOTE!

Seventh Grave and No Body Promo Tour

Hi everyone, and welcome to Day 1 of Darynda Jones’ SEVENTH GRAVE AND NO BODY promo tour! This post is overflowing with amazeballs, so clear your schedule because you are going to be here a while. Check-out the must read / listen excerpts, my gushing 5-star review, and the THREE GIVEAWAYS! There’s the usual tour-wide one, but Rabid Reads also has the privilege of being one of only four sites to host a US-only AND international audiobook contest thanks to Macmillan Audio. And, Darynda Jones is doing something extra special for us hosts, so please don’t forget to vote for your favourite blog before you leave! Enjoy the Charley Davidson awesomeness. :)

Excerpt

Still covered in duct tape, he turned on his side to face me, his flesh straining against the binds. “You would tell me if something were wrong, right?”
               “What do you mean? Of course, I would.”
               “So, if you knew something could happen to you, you’d let me know.”
               Where was he going with this? “Yes. Nothing is going to happen to me. Well, unless the Twelve get ahold of me. Other than that, I should be fine.”
               He nodded in thought.
               “Reyes, what is it?”
               “I think you keep secrets from me.”
               “You keep secrets from me,” I said, teasing. “Seems only fair.”
               He leaned forward and nibbled on my ear. “We can decide who gets to keep secrets and who doesn’t later. Until then, want to do it?”
               “Reyes!” I said, appalled. “You just had your arm nearly ripped off at the shoulder.” That and the fact that a grown man asking me if I wanted to “do it” was hilarious.
               “We can still do it.”
               I giggled. “No, we can’t.”
               “I’m very creative with my mouth.”
               “I am well aware of that.”
               “You should sit on my face.”
               A bubble of laughter escaped again. “I am not sitting on your face. Oh, my god.”
               “Just sit on my face. I’ll make all your dreams come true.”
               “You really need to practice humility,” I said.
               “Humility is overrated.”

Audiobook Clip
7thGraveAudio copy

Author Bio

NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author Darynda Jones has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious Golden Heart®, a Rebecca, two Hold Medallions, a RITA ®, and a Daphne du Maurier, and she has received stellar reviews from dozens of publications including starred reviews from Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and the Library Journal. As a born storyteller, Darynda grew up spinning tales of dashing damsels and heroes in distress for any unfortunate soul who happened by, annoying man and beast alike, and she is ever so grateful for the opportunity to carry on that tradition. She currently has two series with St. Martin’s Press: The Charley Davidson Series and the Darklight Trilogy. She lives in the Land of Enchantment, also known as New Mexico, with her husband of almost 30 years and two beautiful sons, the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys.

Website | Facebook | @darynda | Instagram | Pinterest

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: 10 hrs & 23 mins, Audiobook
Provided by: Publisher

five-starsfive-starsfive-starsfive-starsfive-stars
Twelve. Twelve of the deadliest beasts ever forged in the fires of hell have escaped onto our plane, and they want nothing more than to rip out the jugular of Charley Davidson and serve her lifeless, mangled body to Satan for dinner. So there’s that. But Charley has more on her plate than a mob of testy hellhounds. For one thing, her father has disappeared, and the more she retraces his last steps, the more she learns he was conducting an investigation of his own, one that has Charley questioning everything she’s ever known about him. Add to that an ex-BFF who is haunting her night and day, a rash of suicides that has authorities baffled, and a drop-dead sexy fiancé who has attracted the attentions of a local celebrity, and Charley is not having the best week of her life.

A tad north of hell, a hop, skip, and a jump past the realm of eternity, is a little place called Earth, and Charley Davidson, grim reaper extraordinaire, is determined to do everything in her power to protect it.

We’re doomed.

Amazon | Book Depository | B&N | Kobo | iBooks | GoodReads

TOPREAD nomnom mystery

*** Review may contain spoilers for previous installments in series. ***

Charley Davidson is back for her seventh round of cray-cray situations, murder n’ mayhem, and grim reaper pandemonium, only this time her snark is the sole weapon in her arsenal because she has to do it all sans caffeine. Fortunately for her, she has a strong crew of secondary characters at her back, and in this installment she’s going to need every single one of them! This audiobook was emotionally taxing; I went from laughing out loud at the heroine’s lunacy, to weeping with joy about that THING we’ve all been waiting for, to blubbering over the death of one of their own. But, this novel wasn’t just about the feels because it also featured mucho plot threads, wonderful epiphanies, and made some pretty significant mythology headway. The overall experience was rendered even more perfect with the delightful Lorelei King at the narrative reins.

I like listening to these books because they are light, fun, and typically don’t require much thought—ear candy at its best! SEVENTH GRAVE AND NO BODY changed all of that because every chapter, while entertaining, was also crucial to this series’ overall story arc. Charley solved a ten year old case in fifteen minutes, and even though that initial plot thread was quickly overshadowed by several others, it was still super important because it was related to the twelve, and pulled agent Carlson into Davidson’s inner circle. Then, the priest’s minor haunting episode brought Heaven and Hell to the fore by introducing the Vatican and bounty hunter angles. And finally, don’t even get me started on the suicide kidnappings and Silvia Star! There were a lot of seemingly unrelated incidents in this installment, however upon closer inspection every single one was part of the bigger picture. Genius!

Charley never fails to crack me up with her t-shirt sayings, eccentric naming habits, and outlandish sense of humour. Her lack of progression as a character used to frustrate me, but the evolution of her abilities, and that of her sidekicks more than make up for her shortcomings in that area. Cookie was as terrific as always, and it appears as though her daughter, Amber, will play a pivotal role in this story as well. Reyes isn’t quite as evil as he used to be, but both Charley and The Dealer definitely kept him on his toes. I actually got a kick out of Swopes for once, and even Ubie managed to surprise me. There were unfortunately two deaths in this installment; Belvedere’s which was a given (haha!), and one other that broke my heart.

Darynda Jone’s writing style is without a doubt addictive; however it’s Lorelei King’s voice that keeps me coming back for more. She adds a whole new level to Charley with her saucy tone, and uncanny ability to switch from silly to serious in the same breath. I gave this audiobook five stars, but it should be noted that the narrator earned at least one of them all by herself thanks to her A+ delivery. It takes longer to listen than it does to read, yet with King in your ear those extra hours feel like a gift instead of a burden. This novel was one of the most suspenseful in this series to date, and that aspect really came through in Lorelei’s performance via her character voices, and the high impact action scenes.

SEVENTH GRAVE AND NO BODY was audiobook magic, plain and simple!

Was this review helpful? If so, please consider liking it on GoodReads!

Charley Davidson Series:

Giveaways

US-Only, Audiobook

Int’l, Audiobook

Vote For Us

Carmel Signature

Source: http://rabidreads.ca/2014/10/tour-stop-giveaways-and-early-audiobook-review-seventh-grave-and-no-body-by-darynda-jones-please-vote.html