RabidReads

Format: 280 pages, eARC
Provided by: Tour
four-starsfour-starsfour-starsfour-stars
Amazon | Kobo | B&N | GoodReads

Can you turn the clock back on your first love? Would you even want to try?

Alex McCann and Teodora "Ted" Vasquez left Cambio Springs together. Ted came back. Alex didn't.

Now, years later, the future alpha of the McCann wolves has returned with plans to bring new life to the dying desert community. Plans that could change everything for the isolated enclave of shapeshifters in the California desert. Some love the plan. Others hate it.

As the town's doctor and one of the strongest daughters in the cat clan, Ted has her own concerns about exposing her community to outsiders. The two former lovers are at each other's throats. And everyone is watching to see what happens.

But when murder once again strikes Cambio Springs, can they overcome their past to help the community they both call home? And can the love they shared once burn again when so many stand against it?

DESERT BOUND is an adult paranormal romance in the Cambio Springs Mysteries series.

wellwritten smartfunny howlinggood

When I got my first Kindle four(ish) years ago, a brave new world opened up for me. What had been a teeth gnashing lack of new Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance turned into countless new possibilities. I’d exhausted all of the big names in my preferred genres that I was remotely interested in, but I discovered new authors and series I’d never heard of from small and/or indie publishing houses . . . new authors and series as far as the eye could see . . .

A lot of them were terrible. A lot of them were MEH.

But a few of them were bright, shining beacons of hope in the midst of my lackluster reading frenzy.

Elizabeth Hunter was one of the latter, and more importantly, she has withstood my transition from reading-whatever-I-darn-well-please-without-much-thought to reading-critically-for-review (of which there are two . . . maybe three authors).

Whether it’s the world of the Elemental Mysteries, or this one in Cambio Springs, I loved it the first time, I’m loving it the second time, and I’m pretty sure I’ll love it the third time too.

In the first book, we were introduced to a community of shapeshifters. A couple hundred years ago, seven families looking for a place to settle, a place to escape prejudice, a place to breathe, found that place, and drank from a fresh spring hidden in a cave. It didn’t take the settlers long to figure out that there was something different about that spring, and starting with that generation, those families were able to shift into various animals. Cambio Springs became not only their home, but a place where they were safe, a place where they could let their dual natures coexist peacefully, without fear.

Enter modernity.

The safehaven is dying, more and more families are moving away from the springs, b/c there aren’t enough jobs . . .

Something has to change, and Alex McCann has a plan. In fact, he’s been planning his entire adult life, and he’s been so completely focused on finding a way to save his home, to ensure that its residents are protected, that the other areas of life have fallen to the wayside, and other things (or people) have been left in the dust.

Teodora Vasquez is also determined to protect her town. So much that she left her home for more years then she cares to remember to become a doctor. B/c how “safe” is a safe place without a qualified medical professional—in the know—looking after the inhabitants.

And no matter how much Alex and Ted wished otherwise, their paths were mutually exclusive . . . until they weren’t . . . *SQUEE*

Desert Bound is the second installment of Cambio Springs, and all I can say is . . . Hunter is a master of continuity.

She weaves subtle, yet intimate details throughout the story, laying a foundation that bridges the gap between character and reader. You feel like you’re on the inside of the inside joke—whether it’s about hats or pet names, it adds that nebulous something that separates the books that stick with you from the multitudes that . . . don’t.

Hunter also casually develops her secondary characters so that despite the HEA of the current story, you’re dying for the next chapter. And you don’t particularly care who the focus of that chapter is, you just want MORE. It happened in Shifting Dreams, so that I did a little tap dance when I found out that book 2 was Ted and Alex, and it happened again in book 2 . . . so that if we don’t find out what’s up with the bear and the fox . . . or the snake . . . or the wolfy water witch . . . and SOON, I might just die.<——TRUE story.

And I know that a lot of you aren’t big on the prequels and in-between stories like I am, so I only push the issue when I feel very, very strongly about it: you will be missing out BIG time, if you don’t read them in this series. They’re short, they’re cheap, and they are worth it. *pinky promises*

SO. If you haven’t checked Elizabeth Hunter out already, you should get on that. Desert Bound is merely the latest in a long line of fabulously entertaining fiction. I loved it so much that I’m in the middle of rereading Elemental Mysteries . . .

The Cambio Springs series:

Was this review helpful to you? If so, please consider voting for it on Amazon or like it on Goodreads!

Jessica Signature

Source: http://rabidreads.ca/2014/10/review-desert-bound-by-elizabeth-hunter.html