RabidReads

Rabid Reads

Question: Do You Ever Wish There Was No Sex?

WeeklyQuestion

I am first and foremost an action junkie which means that my go-to genre is Urban Fantasy, and although I wouldn’t go so far as to say that sex scenes are rare in these types of reads, they are secondary. Oftentimes it’ll take several installments before the protagonist gets it on, these encounters are usually brief, or happen off the page, and I’m ok with that. I’m also a werewolf fanatic (DUH!!), and I quickly discovered that Paranormal Romances frequently feature my favourite supe because of the whole ‘mate’ thing, so I’ve been adding more and more PNR titles to my shopping basket in recent years. Originally, I was amazed by all of the steam—couldn’t get enough of it in fact—however my fascination with romp was short-lived.

That’s not to say that I still don’t enjoy a good nookie scene, or that I don’t feel disappointed when there isn’t at least one in every novel I read. I just find that when you’ve devoured as many of ‘em as I have, they tend to get repetitive after a while. Now, I’m sure that there are plenty of Erotica / BDSM addicts out there who will disagree with me, but personally I think there are WAY more possibilities in a fight sequence than a romance one. The majority of the titles I tackle feature mostly vanilla sex; yes, there are fangs and fur, however as a whole the relationships are M/F, there are no toys involved, no S&M kink, etc. So, after a while they kind of all blend together because the authors are limited by the genre. I know, I know, there’s an easy solution to this—BRANCH OUT! Again, I like action, and although I do occasionally dabble in Erotica, it ranks low on my list.

I prefer sexual tension over the act itself, and token steam is a pet peeve of mine. It seems like writers feel like they have to include at least one R-rated moment in order to satisfy their readers, and a lot of the time they will force an horizontal dance before the characters have built-up enough of a rapport for it to be believable. In short, yes I do sometimes wish that there was no nookie, especially when it adds NOTHING to the main couple’s relationship, or to the actual novel for that matter. I haven’t gotten into the habit of skimming yet, but I’m on the brink, I can feel it, and romp scenes are going to be the first victim.

I’m going to ask that you forgive the comment spam ahead of time; I will weed through it, and delete offenders, but any post that contains this many dirty words is bound to attract non-bookworms. LOL

Do You Ever Wish There Was No Sex?

Carmel Signature

Source: http://rabidreads.ca/2014/10/question-do-you-ever-wish-there-was-no-sex.html