RabidReads

Format: 157 pages, eBook
Provided by: Purchased
four-starsfour-starsfour-starsfour-stars
Amazon | B&N | GoodReads

Zachary McKenna is a warrior shapeshifter from the Lion Clan, trying to catch a break in the sun and surf of Mexico. Mai Tais and scantily clad beach beauties are just what he needs after his last battle. But the fun doesn't last long before a beautiful young woman is mugged on his doorstep and Zach is pulled right back into the fray.

Zach has no idea of the danger Annabelle has unwittingly brought to his doorstep, until he discovers that losing her will almost certainly destroy him...

I am a big fan of Sara Humphrey’s books, shapeshifters or vampires, I like them both. This series is about the Amoveo, a group of shapeshifters that have all sorts of different powers. I pre-ordered this novella, put down the book I was reading, and happily dove into this one pretty much as soon as it came out.

Zachary is a guardian to the royal family of the Amoveo, and lives on the royal compound, aka ranch, in Montana. In a previous book, he was shot several times during a raid on the ranch by the evil human family named Caedo. Healed now, he goes to Mexico for rest. Since he has been dreaming of his mate, he just wants to get away. No way does he want to be tied down at age twenty five to one woman for the rest of his life. Of course, his mate has run away from her family to the same town in Mexico that Zachary is visiting. Major problem? His mate, Annabelle, is a member of the Caedo family, the Amoveo’s mortal enemy. She is also human. Zachary is a lion shapeshifter.

I always enjoy the Amoveo books due to the author’s world building, and of course romance. Amoveo can be any sort of animal, and belong to clans. They can instantaneously move to another location, no matter how far away, as long as they have been there before, and can picture it. They can also visualize things they want, and get them immediately. And when it’s time to find their mate, they meet each other in the dream realm before they actually meet. All pretty unique abilities to this shape shifter world.

Ms. Humphrey writes pretty steamy romance, and while not really erotica, it’s still hot! So for those of you that like that in a read, you shouldn’t be disappointed. So it’s definitely an adult read. The characters were likable, the villains pretty horrible, and I enjoyed the whole thing. If I had a complaint, it would be that it was too short. Just a heads up, it ends at 63% of the way into the novella, and then the rest is an excerpt of the author’s next book, which since I have it to read already, was not something I needed. That being said, it didn’t bother me a bit, because it was such a good read. If you love paranormal romance with some suspense, this could be a good short read for you, it was for me!

Lorna Signature