RabidReads

Rabid Reads

Interview, Early Review and Giveaway: Dark Debt by Chloe Neill

DarkDebt_Tour

Happy Friday, and welcome to my stop on Chloe Neill’s DARK DEBT blog tour! I have a quick Q&A with the author to share with you, as well as my review, and a giveaway. I hope your one-click finger is warmed up because the next installment in the CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES series hits shelves next Tuesday, and you won’t want to miss it.

1. Chicago and the mafia are practically synonymous which is why I’m surprised that the CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES managed to avoid any encounters with the seedier side of the Windy City for 10 installments. What made you decide to finally explore this type of plot arc?

I think because Merit and Ethan aren’t usually involved in the types of crimes that a criminal syndicate would deal with–like those that deal with money. The CPD doesn’t necessarily need vampire experts for that, generally. At least, not until DARK DEBT…

2. Merit’s taste in food is pretty eclectic, and ranges from blood (obviously) to Mallocakes to deep dish pizza, but what’s her f-a-v-o-u-r-i-t-e thing to chow down on, and why? Do you have a ultimate midwest dish?

I think pizza is probably her favorite chow down food, although she wouldn’t argue with a burger and fries, either. I’m pretty much the same. :) I’m southern, so many of my personal favorite dishes are southern, too. Chicken and dumplings, collard greens, cornbread, southern-style mac and cheese. Although when it comes to a weekend splurge, I’m a nacho girl all the way.

3. As one of the topmost authorities on all things werewolf I’m honour-bound to ask; have your shifters been permanently sidelined after WILD THINGS or do still have plans for them? Vague hints are welcome. Please!

The shifters are never sidelined. LUCKY BREAK features much shiftery goodness, and there’s still the matter of the prophecy to deal with…

4.Novellas are a fairly new addition to your CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES series; do you enjoy writing them more or less than full length installments? Why?

I enjoy them differently. I usually have two or three plots in any story, and weaving them together into a shorter story can be complicated. But it also give me a chance, like in LUCKY BREAK, to explore a completely different setting, which was a lot of fun.

Thanks so much for having me!

Author Bio

Chloe Neill is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Devil’s Isle, Chicagoland Vampires, and Dark Elite series. She was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys–her favorite landscape photographer/husband and their dogs, Baxter and Scout. (Both she and the photographer understand the dogs are in charge.) Photo © Dana Damewood.

ChloeNeill.com | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: 400 pages, ARC
Provided by: Publisher
four-starsfour-starsfour-starsfour-stars

A vampire never gets old. But neither do his enemies. When a figure from Ethan's dark past makes a splashy debut in Chicago, Merit and her Master don't know whether he's friend or foe. But they'll have to figure out soon, because trouble is brewing in the Windy City.

At an exclusive society soiree attended by the upper echelons of the human and supernatural worlds, Merit and Ethan barely stop the assassination of a guest. When the target turns out to be a shady businessman with a criminal edge, Merit suspects a human vendetta. But the assassins have fangs....

The connections to Chicago's Houses go deeper than Merit knows, and even one wrong move could be her last....
Amazon | Kobo | B&N | Book Depo | iBooks | Powells | Books-A-Million | GoodReads

Addictive Rereadable

Chicago has a reputation for good food, crappy weather, and organized crime; Chloe Neill makes a point of including the first two in practically every installment, but the third had yet to surface. DARK DEBT rocketed into the previous book’s cliff hanger with little delay while also paving the way for a new mafia plot thread that will in all likelihood become this series’ latest story arc. The secondary characters were the headliners of this novel for me with Mallory & Catcher at the head of the pack.

Merit is ever so gradually becoming a ‘real’ vampire after her unorthodox transformation in SOME GIRLS BITE, and the most recent undead trait that she has to contend with is glamour. She’s skated by on immunity for ten books, but the time has come to pay the piper. Her pound of flesh came at a pretty high price, and I was afraid that it would be yet another obstacle between her and Ethan. Speaking of Cadogan House’s master, his solution was uber uninspired, so I was happy that 1. Merit vetoed it, and 2. She conquered her snag.

The author nimbly pulled the wool over our eyes as far as antagonists go. There were two enemies stirring the waters of Lake Michigan in this installment; one was obvious until he wasn’t while as the other stayed on the DL until he could deliver a direct hit. I really enjoyed how this story’s plot developed, Neill never does anything without a reason, and even though her ploys don’t always make sense at the time, they eventually complete their circuit in a rewarding way, so I look forward to seeing where she takes her gangster thread.

Mallory & Catcher were the masters of all things feels in this novel. I wish I could blurt out the why of it, but their aaww moment was too good to spoil. Morgan’s been the gum at the bottom of the CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES shoe since day 1, therefore I was kinda stunned when he manned-up, and I found myself genuinely liking him. The same can be said of Merit’s dad, he’s definitely not a candidate for father of the year however after his actions in this book there may be hope for him yet. Jonah on the other hand… what a hypocrite!

Chloe Neill strikes again with DARK DEBT!

Was this review helpful? If so, please consider liking it on GoodReads!

Chicagoland Vampires Series

Giveaway

The fun doesn’t stop here. Want more chances to win? You can also enter the Dark Debt Grand Prize Giveaway, which runs February 23 through March 6 on Chloe’s web site.

Grand Prize Giveaway:

• An engraved Cadogan House medal necklace
  • A Kindle Paperwhite
  • Cadogan House cotton tote bag
  • Cadogan House keychian
  • Chicagoland Vampires bookmarks, pens, and lanyard

Tour Stop Giveaway: (enter via below Rafflecopter)

• Cadogan House cotton tote bag
  • Cadogan House keychain
  • An autographed international Chicagoland Vampires or Dark Elite novel
  • Swag, including Chicagoland Vampires bookmarks and pens, and Cadogan House lanyards
a Rafflecopter giveaway

March 6:
Little Read Riding Hood
Three Chicks After Dark

Carmel Signature

Source: http://rabidreads.ca/2015/02/interview-early-review-giveaway-dark-debt-by-chloe-neill.html