RabidReads

Rabid Reads

Question: Does Bonus Material Add Value?

RRQuestion

The standard book includes the cover art, the story itself, and things like the author’s backlist, their bio, maybe a glossary of terms, etc. But, occasionally a novel goes above and beyond by throwing in things like maps, illustrations, family trees, a note to readers, a preview of the next installment, or if we’re talking audiobooks: music. Do you feel that bonus materials add value? Are there certain extras that you prefer more than others? Have you ever gone out of your way to purchase a specific format of a title to get the perks?

I have. We’re not called fan-girls for nothing! And, I think it’s safe to say that the majority of you have fallen victim to the lure of a collector’s edition at one point or another; it’s just the nature of the beast, and why publishers even bother with things like companion novels, and untold histories. Readers always want more. Personally, I don’t particularly care for world charts, or character genealogy, although they do occasionally come in handy when I’m typing up a review. They are common in epic Fantasy which isn’t a genre that makes its way onto my nightstand very often, but my husband will pull out maps whenever I ask him a LORD OF THE RINGS question, so I’m not knocking them. To each their own!

I’m drawn to limited hardbacks, signed physical copies, and I’m especially susceptible to Subterranean Press’ novellas. Every time Kelley Armstrong announces that she’s releasing a new OTHERWORLD short I have to dig deep in order to avoid spending $50+ on a 100 page story. Sometimes my willpower is up to the task, sometimes not. One of the more interesting extras that I came across completely by accident was the original music composed and written by Maggie Stiefvater that was included with the audio versions of THE DREAM THIEVES and SINNER. I knew that she was talented, her lyrical prose is proof of that, but I had no idea that her artistic prowess went beyond the written word!

Does Bonus Material Add Value?

Have a bookish question you’d like Rabid Reads to weigh-in on? E-mail me, and be sure you include your blog URL (if you have one), so we can give you credit!

Carmel Signature

Source: http://rabidreads.ca/2015/03/question-does-bonus-material-add-value.html