RabidReads

Rabid Reads

Question: Do You Notice Easter Eggs?

RRQuestion

Definition: An Easter egg is an intentional inside joke, hidden message, or feature in a work such as a computer program, video game, movie, book, or crossword puzzle. The name has been said to evoke the idea of a traditional Easter egg hunt. —Wiki

I appreciate it whenever an author caters to their fans by referencing people or places from one of their other series. Not everyone will notice these little gems, but they are fun perks for die hard readers. There’s a certain amount of skill involved because Easter eggs need to be subtle so that they don’t confuse peeps that are unfamiliar with their origins while also being obvious enough that those in the known catch them.

Jennifer Estep tops my list of writers who love these colourful treats, plus I’ve read all of her books, so that helps too. If you pay close attention, you’ll catch Gwen Frost (MYTHOS ACADEMY) & Sam Sloane (BIGTIME) chowing down on grub from the Pork Pit (ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN), and I believe that Ashland is mentioned in her upcoming novel, COLD BURN OF MAGIC, although I own a physical copy which makes fact checking difficult. Estep frequently stalks my Question posts though, so maybe she’ll leave a comment to help fill in the blanks.

I’m always on the prowl for pop culture, and geeky Easter eggs too, because they make my inner fan-girl happy. A few of my go-to authors that use ‘em regularly include: Molly Harper, Kevin Hearne, and Jim Butcher. I also love quick shout-outs like Patricia Briggs’ hat tip to SUPERNATURAL in DEAD HEAT, or when Canadian places make an appearance in my novels given that for some reason the great white North isn’t a popular locale in Paranormal. Are we too nice for werewolves and vampires? I try to make a point of mentioning the tidbits that make me squee in my reviews like when Dianne Duvall brought up my home province of Québec in NIGHT UNBOUND.

Happy (almost) Easter!

Do You Notice Easter Eggs?

Carmel Signature