RabidReads

Format: 322 pages, eARC
Provided by: NetGalley
four-starsfour-starsfour-starsfour-stars
Amazon | B&N | Book Depo | GoodReads

It happens whenever wolf shifter Roni Axton is near Marcus Fuller: a crackle of sexual awareness that’s intoxicating…and deeply annoying. Marcus is a pack enforcer who oozes power, but Roni is lethal in her own right—nothing like the flirty females who flock around him. Even still, his possessive gaze makes one thing clear. Marcus has singled her out for seduction, and he wants to make her sit up and beg.

No matter how aloof and unfazed Roni acts, Marcus can tell she wants him. When a brutal attack by a jackal pack forces them to work together, it’s the perfect opportunity for Marcus to chip away at her defenses—until he falls into his own trap, completely unprepared for the intensity of their connection. Roni is the only one who’s ever seen past his shifter charm and discovered the man hiding beneath it. And for Marcus, claiming Roni once will mean needing her forever.

Paranormal Hot hot hot Romance Kickass

Recently I read and reviewed Feral Sins by this author, in order to understand this book. I really enjoyed it, and it really did help me while reading Dark Instincts. This is book four, and I haven’t read book two or three yet. I didn’t feel lost while reading this book though, although when I first tried to read it before reading Feral Sins, I was completely lost.

Roni is an enforcer for the Mercury Pack. Her brother is Nick, the alpha of that pack. She’s a tomboy, but still very pretty in her own ungirly way. Marcus is an enforcer for the Phoenix pack. He’s a womanizer, but is completely smitten with Roni when this book starts. She just tries to ignore him, mostly due to his reputation, and because she’s a bit of a loner. Marcus isn’t having any of that, and doesn’t let up on flirting with her.

The story begins with Roni hanging upside down in a car that has wrecked. And oh yes, there are jackals trying to kidnap the baby belonging to the Alpha of the Phoenix pack, Trey,and his mate Taryn. Not a spoiler since this is how it really begins. So it was a really exciting start to this installment, and it continued to be pretty exciting throughout the read. Action packed with danger around every corner describes a lot of this book. Add plenty of ultra hot sexual scenes, with a hefty dose of humor, and you have this story.

Roni, as a heroine pack enforcer was pretty perfect. She keeps to herself, and is not exactly the friendly sort. Marcus is just the opposite, he is super charming, extremely handsome and very sexually uninhibited. As in, anything goes. Since Roni is such a loner, it was sweet to see her taking down her walls to let Marcus in. Characters from the previous books are back as well. One of the best parts of this series for me is Taryn’s sarcastic mouth, and the barbs she trades with Trey’s crotchety grandmother, Greta. Dominic and his constant flirty one liners also are a fun part of the two books I have read. Members of both the Phoenix and Mercury Packs, fill out the rest of the characters. This time around there is a new enemy, one with a horrendous pastime-to say the least.

The premise of a group of jackals filming people or shifters that have been kidnapped, being tortured, raped and even killed was pretty scary/sad to say the least. Since Roni has a back story that this touches on, it brought this all too close to home for Roni and her pack, and puts them into the path of these horrible creatures.

I enjoyed the story, the characters and the romance. As with Feral Sins, I had to look past the fact that I am not an erotica fan. In this world building, it would seem that all of the wolves are highly sexual beings, and nothing is off limits. And in Marcus’s case, that goes double. Needless to say, this is a very adult read, and I would recommend it to paranormal romance readers.

The Phoenix Pack Series

Lorna’s Review

Lorna Signature

Source: http://rabidreads.ca/2015/04/review-dark-instincts-by-suzanne-wright.html