RabidReads

Rabid Reads

Question: Who Are Your Fav Male Audiobook Narrators?

RRQuestion

My quota of male to female narrators used to be greatly skewed towards the fairer sex because Urban Fantasy is mostly about kickass chicks, and the women who write them. In recent years, we’ve seen a shift in that trend, although admittedly there are some dudes who’ve been owning that genre for quite some time now. Same goes for Paranormal Romance. That being said, my list of favourite female readers is quite extensive when compared to the opposite side of the gender spectrum, so I figured I’d broach the latter first in the hopes of adding to my audiobook stockpile. Part two of this Question will follow soon.

This week’s discussion post was actually inspired by my most recent male narrator discovery: R.C. Bray. He’s the voice behind Andy Weir’s THE MARTIAN, and my head is still spinning from how quickly I became hooked on his performance. I’d like to thank Marcela from The Bookaholic Cat for the wonderful recommendation! I don’t care for Science Fiction, or Math, and this story has both, and I LOVED IT. Another staple on my iPhone is Kevin Hearne’s THE IRON DRUID CHRONICLES with Luke Daniels; he usually has me laughing out loud within minutes of hitting play, and his rendition of Oberon is priceless.

Roger Wayne is in the same league as Daniels delivery-wise, except the protagonist in Elliott James’ PAX ARCANA series is a cooler, more modern version of Atticus O’Sullivan, so if you like one, you’re pretty much guaranteed to hit it off with both of these talented artists. Melanie from Hot Listens is to blame for my seven month long binge listen (and still counting) of Kresley Cole’s IMMORTALS AFTER DARK. It just goes to show that if you say “sexy Scottish werewolves” to me enough times, I’ll agree to almost anything, even committing to thirteen+ installments. I have to hand it to her though, Robert Petkoff is THE MAN!

I’ve also been on a THE DRESDEN FILES tear lately because Jim Butcher’s books have been on my bucket list for ages now, and as soon as I found out that James Marsters (a.k.a. Spike) was the reader, I couldn’t resist any longer. There are some kinks in the narration in the earlier installments, but once the story gets going it’s wildly entertaining. I liked Dan Bittner in Maggie Stiefvater’s SINNER, and Keith Nobbs in POISON PRINCESS (Kresley Cole); however both of those audios had two narrators, so my experience with them is rather limited.

Who Are Your Fav Male Audiobook Narrators?

Carmel Signature